If you were a patient, would you contribute images to a publicly accessible research repository ?
David Clunie
2007-06-17 16:56:03 UTC
Assuming that they were appropriately de-identified, etc. ?

I am trying to get a sense from folks who know about digital
image technology as to how feasible this really would be.

See also my blog entry on the subject at:

http://www.dclunie.com/blog/blog/2007/06/where-to-get-images-for-research-and.html

David
Peter Clinch
2007-06-18 08:43:28 UTC
Post by David Clunie
Assuming that they were appropriately de-identified, etc. ?
Yes. In due course I'll give my body over to research and/or organ
donation, so for now I don't really have a problem with people having
pictures of it!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net ***@dundee.ac.uk http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
papa smurf
2007-06-18 12:58:12 UTC
i personally wouldn't mind donating images to research. the problem
lies not in the patient's cooperation, but the images taken actually
belong to the facility (i.e. the hospital or imaging business)

on the other hand, if it's the facility asking for permision to use
their images, i definately wouldn't have a problem. working in a
teaching hospital setting, every hospital has "teaching files" which
is basically that (images and scans with the patient information
removed), so having an online database shouldn't be that far from it.

papa
Pixel.to.life
2007-06-19 00:22:13 UTC
Post by papa smurf
i personally wouldn't mind donating images to research. the problem
lies not in the patient's cooperation, but the images taken actually
belong to the facility (i.e. the hospital or imaging business)
on the other hand, if it's the facility asking for permision to use
their images, i definately wouldn't have a problem. working in a
teaching hospital setting, every hospital has "teaching files" which
is basically that (images and scans with the patient information
removed), so having an online database shouldn't be that far from it.
papa
I wouldnt mind sharing my anonymized images either.

Pixel.To.Life
[ http://groups.google.com/group/medicalimagingscience ]
David Clunie
2007-06-21 12:33:31 UTC
Hi
... the problem
lies not in the patient's cooperation, but the images taken actually
belong to the facility (i.e. the hospital or imaging business)
Actually, it is probably not as clear as that.

In many US states, the facility owns the physical record, yes, by
statute, but the patient has a right to a copy of the record (as
per HIPAA at the very least), and indeed the patient is sometimes
said to own the "information" as opposed to the "record".

Now, since a facility cannot fail to give the patient a copy,
can they attempt to restrict what the patient may do with that
copy, such as prevent them from giving the information away ?

In the absence of specific regulation or case law one way or another,
would that be a contractual matter between the facility and the
patient ?

Is it an intellectual property matter ? Are medical images considered
"creative works" and hence subject to copyright ? I am not aware
that they are, but if they were, who would hold the copyright exactly,
and on what, the form of the copy or the information itself, and
would a de-identified version of the images be a "derivative work",
etc.

Anyway, the "ownership" of such images is an interesting question
that I will revisit in my blog if there turns out to be any useful
information forthcoming from any source.

David
Lint Radley
2007-06-19 03:49:31 UTC
I wouldn't sharing anonymized images of myself. One thing to note,
however, is I think people in these groups would be more willing than
the average citizens because we are more familiar with the industry...
David
Hooyoo
2007-06-22 10:24:02 UTC
Post by David Clunie
Assuming that they were appropriately de-identified, etc. ?
I am trying to get a sense from folks who know about digital
image technology as to how feasible this really would be.
http://www.dclunie.com/blog/blog/2007/06/where-to-get-images-for-rese...
David
Radiology image is not like portrait. I guess it's hard to recongnize
your image when you find it in a book as a illustration. ^_^.
Frederic Perez
2007-06-22 10:43:32 UTC
Post by David Clunie
http://www.dclunie.com/blog/blog/2007/06/where-to-get-images-for-rese...
David
Interesting blog entry, thank you. Unfortunately it seems that the
link was
cut (it should end with where-to-get-images-for-research-and.html).
Let's
give it another try: