Does Soda caffeine, coffee or tea reduce antibiotic effeciency?
Adam
2005-02-13 21:20:46 UTC
Hi all ,
I hope this group is an appropriate place to ask his:

If someone is taking some antibiotic, say, a course of penicillin
to treat an infection/inflamation/abscess ...

would you recommend such patients to avoid drinking
"soda" products like Cola (coke), Gingerale ...that contains
carbonic acid ( i think H2CO3 (H2O+CO2)) ?
would it reduce the absorption/efficiency of the antibiotic?

And...
would taking caffeine or the similar stimulating alkaloid, ...etc
like drinking considerable amount of coffee or tea ...
(or maybe ginsing..)
would this boosts up the effeciency of the penicillin or
other antibiotics or would it reduce the effciency of the medication
and obstruct its functionality?
(or would it have just no effect?)

if you don't have an answer, could you please
refer me to web resources/research done in this area that
you would recommend,

thank you very much in advance
14tonks
2005-02-13 21:33:40 UTC
This is a group of people that transcribes medical dictation. We do not
practice, nor are we licensed to practice, medicine. Contact the healthcare
practitioner who prescribed your antibiotic and/or the pharmacist at the
pharmacy that filled that prescription.
--
Sheila
To reply to me, add the prefix real. to my address.
Hi all ,
d***@yahoo.com
2005-02-13 22:22:37 UTC
Is there any link to scientific report about this?

***@w-manager.com
Eliyahu Rooff
2005-02-14 04:57:23 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Is there any link to scientific report about this?
The place to look for info on medical topics is PubMed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

Eliyahu
Larry Nelson
2005-02-14 06:36:17 UTC
Post by 14tonks
This is a group of people that transcribes medical dictation. We do not
practice, nor are we licensed to practice, medicine. Contact the healthcare
practitioner who prescribed your antibiotic and/or the pharmacist at the
pharmacy that filled that prescription.
--
Sheila
To reply to me, add the prefix real. to my address.
Post by Adam
Hi all ,
[...]
Adam,

Hang in there and someone will answer you soon. This groups does not
transcribe medical dictation .... we post about pharmacy
issues.

Sheila isn't that bright, and along with top-posting, which is
the wrong way to post messages, she's full of shit.

-Larry
Jeannie Wilson
2005-02-14 13:45:26 UTC
Post by Larry Nelson
Adam,
Hang in there and someone will answer you soon. This groups does not
transcribe medical dictation .... we post about pharmacy
issues.
Sheila isn't that bright, and along with top-posting, which is
the wrong way to post messages, she's full of shit.
-Larry
You might want to double-check yourself before you call someone else full
of **it. Check and see where your comment was also posted because _you_
also posted in sci.med.transcription, which is not about pharmacy issues.
When I responded to this question, it shows it being posted in the
following places:
sci.med.pharmacy,sci.med.telemedicine,sci.med.transcription.
Eliyahu Rooff
2005-02-14 15:33:00 UTC
Post by Larry Nelson
Adam,
Hang in there and someone will answer you soon. This groups does not
transcribe medical dictation .... we post about pharmacy
issues.
Sheila isn't that bright, and along with top-posting, which is
the wrong way to post messages, she's full of shit.
WADR, please note that this message was cross-posted to several
newsgroups including sci.med.transcription, and while both she and you
apparently overlooked that fact, she was absolutely correct in regard to
whether it's appropriate in regard to that particular newsgroup. I
would also note that top-posting, while improper in most venues, is
generally accepted within s.m.t.. I suggest that an apology might be
apropos for shooting from the hip here.

Eliyahu
Chuck
2005-02-15 02:07:10 UTC
The only things that I have heard about Soda that are fact, is that the
sugar in regular soda will suppress your immune system.
But my best advice would be to call your local pharmacist and find out.