RFA and brain tumor ablation
KB
2004-09-20 03:56:13 UTC
Hello-

I was looking into radiofrequency abaltion of brain tumors. RFA seems
to be an up and coming treatment for most other tumors in the body.
However, I am unablt to find anything in the literature concerning
this subject any later than the mid 1990's. The latest reference I
find to this subject is an article, Preliminary experience with
MR-guided thermal ablation of brain tumors by Anzi et al.

Has anyone any experinece with RFA treatment of brain tumors? if so,
how is the RF needle inserted to minimize collateral damage? where is
the ground pad placed?

Any help would be appreciated.

_Kam94087
Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2004-09-20 21:19:37 UTC
Post by KB
Hello-
I was looking into radiofrequency abaltion of brain tumors. RFA seems
to be an up and coming treatment for most other tumors in the body.
However, I am unablt to find anything in the literature concerning
this subject any later than the mid 1990's. The latest reference I
find to this subject is an article, Preliminary experience with
MR-guided thermal ablation of brain tumors by Anzi et al.
Has anyone any experinece with RFA treatment of brain tumors? if so,
how is the RF needle inserted to minimize collateral damage? where is
the ground pad placed?
Any help would be appreciated.
_Kam94087
RF energy has been used to create lesions in the brain for a long
time. Sometimes it is used to "burn" brain tumors, but the problem
with RF energy is that it causes significant heat and that heat will
spread to adjacent structures and cause "collateral damage".

Other forms of energy, such as lasers, can vaporize tumor tissue and
the heat does not spread as much.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, CA 94704-2636 USA
510-849-2555

NOTE: The material above is not "medical
advice". Medical advice can only be
given after an in-person contact between
doctor and patient.